DMG Sodium Butyrate and Saccharin-LiCl CTA
Replication (to increase N) of DMF Sodium Butyrate and Saccharin-LiCl CTA
|Butyrate and Lithium-CTA pt2|
Test if systemic Sodium Butyrate (NaB), an HDAC inhibitor, enhances CTA learning .
1. Ordered brand new Sodium Butyrate (Sigma-Aldrich 303410-100G Butyric acid sodium salt, 98% ).
2. n=8 male, n=8 female, counterbalanced
- 0.3 M Na Butyrate = 3.3g/100ml water
- 0.3 M NaCl = 18g/liter water (osmotic control)
Rats arrive (November 3, 2020) n=16 adult male (8) and female(8) sprague-dawley rats (Charles River CD), individually housed in BRF 169.
Day 0: Water removed (November 9, 2020)
Days 1 - 11: Water Restriction (November 10 - November 17, 2020)
Weigh rats daily. water for 10 min, ad lib food.
10 min water at 1430 daily.
Day 12: Conditioning Day (November 18, 2020)
0 min: 30 min access to 0.125% saccharin (5 g sodium saccharin/4L water) 30 min: all rats injected with 0.15 M LiCl, 3 ml/kg ip. 40 min: half of rats (1-4, 9-12) injected with 0.3 M NaCl 12 ml/kg ip; other half of rats (5-8, 13-16) injected with 0.3 M Na Butyrate 12 ml/kg, ip
ad lib water returned after final injection overnight.
- Rats 1-8 : female, Rats 9-16: male
- All rats: saccharin
- All rats: LiCl (0.15M, 3ml/kg)
- rats 1-4, 9-12: NaCL injection; rats 5-8,13-16: NaB injection;
Days 13 - ??: Preference Tests (November 19 - ?? November , 2020)
Rats CTA acquisition and extinction was measured with 48-h, 2-bottle preference tests. Rats were given 24-h free access to both 0.125% saccharin and water bottles, alternating position for ??? days.