GA Anti-Motion Sickness
O'Neal-Moffitt agenda: Pretreatment with anti-motion sickness before magnet
Need to Do:
Look up dose, route of administration, timing of Scopolamine injection in rats, relevant to CTA or motion sickness (or behavior at the very least)
Note: Scopolamine HBr acts both centrally and peripherally; Scopolamine Methyl Nitrate acts only peripherally.
Golding JF. Motion sickness susceptibility. Auton Neurosci. 2006 Oct 30;129(1-2):67-76. Epub 2006 Aug 23. Review. PMID 16931173
-Subjects: 32 female Sprague-Dawley rats weighing 225-250g
-4 groups (n = 8 in each):
- drug/sac/magnet- drug pretreatment to attenuate effects of magnetic field exposure
- drug/sac/sham- ensure drug does not cause an aversion
- veh/sac/magnet- injection control, baseline CTA and extinction
- veh/sac/sham- injection control, restraint control; no aversion, baseline preference for saccharin
-All rats water-restricted for 8 days (after 3+ days of habituation to colony room):
- Day 1 = water off
- Days 2 and 3 = 3 h H2O access
- Days 4 and 5 = 1 h H2O access
- Days 6 and 7 = 30 min H2O access
- Days 8 and 9 = 10 min H2O access
- (Actually, we started off straight with 30min because restriction schedule was interrupted when Magnet time was put off for a week; see door sheet)
-Rats weighed on last day of water restriction to determine drug dose.
-Conditioning day (10):
Rats will be injected with either drug (scopolamine) or saline vehicle ??? minutes before saccharin.
All rats will receive 10-min access to a bottle of 0.125% saccharin solution in home cage.
Immediately after saccharin, rats are restrained and placed in 14.1T magnet or sham tube for 30 min.
Upon removal, rats are videotaped for 2 min in guinea pig cage.
At the end of the day, rats are given ad lib water back overnight.
-Extinction days (14+):
All rats will receive 24-hour 2-bottle access to both water and saccharin. Bottles will be refilled with fresh water or saccharin daily and weighed before and after access each day to determine consumption. The water and saccharin bottles will alternate sides in the cage each day to prevent and detect place preferences.